What is the best time to get pregnant? There is no one ‘best time’ or ‘best day’ per se. Knowing your menstrual cycle is the key because the right time to conceive is when you are ovulating. Research shows that you can enhance your chances by having sex:
- Every day if your partner’s sperm count is good.
- Frequently around the fertile period (four days would be better).
- 2 days before ovulation day and on the day of ovulation.
Want to know when can you get pregnant, and how you can time your intercourse? We are here to explain about ovulation, and the various factors that could affect your chances of pregnancy. We also share some tips to improve your fertility.
When Is The Best Time To Get Pregnant?
Having sex during the 6 -day fertile period — the 5 days that lead to ovulation and the day of ovulation — is highly effective to get pregnant
Now, let us explain how sex during ovulation would work to help you conceive:
Fertile window: Sperm can live inside the woman’s reproductive tract for 3 to 5 days, but an egg can live for just 12 to 24 hours. So, the egg needs to be fertilized within this timeframe. Moreover, instantly ejaculated sperm cannot fertilize the egg until it undergoes capacitation (a series of changes that happen inside the reproductive tract of a woman to make sperm more mobile and penetrate through the egg). It usually takes about 10 hours for this process to happen. The 5 days before ovulation are, therefore, important for the sperm to fertilize the egg.
Having a mature sperm ready for the egg is the key for conception.
Is The Day Of Ovulation Right For You To Get Pregnant?
Many belief that the ovulation day is the best day to conceive. Researchers have studied the relationship between the timing of intercourse and ovulation to find which days would be most fertile for a woman to conceive. The research findings in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine confirm that the day of ovulation is not the best day to conceive. Then, when am I fertile ?
1. Sex one day before ovulation
The day before the ovulation is one of the better days to conceive as compared to the day of ovulation. This is mainly as the sperm has enough time to undergo the capacitation process and hence, is mature enough to reach and fertilize the egg.
2. Sex two days before ovulation
2 days before ovulation is also a good time for conception. In fact, you are more likely to get pregnant if you have sexual intercourse 2days before ovulation than a day before.
3. Sex 3 to 4 days before ovulation
By having sexual intercourse three to four days before ovulation, you will have higher chances of getting pregnant when compared to having sex on the day of ovulation.
4. Sex 5 days before ovulation
The first day of the fertile window is also ideal but it is less effective than the remaining four days before ovulation.
In short, two days before ovulation and the day of ovulation are the most fertile days of your menstrual cycle.
To determine your ovulation period, you need to try the ovulation calculator.
Calculating Ovulation: Know Your Fertile Days
Knowing your ovulation day is important. The ovulation period in any given menstrual cycle depends on the length of the cycle and regularity of your periods. The menstrual cycle can be between 22 and 36 days .You ovulate 12 to 14 days before the cycle ends
- If you have a 28-day menstrual cycle, you will ovulate on the 14th day. This is the best time to get pregnant before your next period, or after your period.
- If you have a shorter cycle (21 days), you will ovulate on the seventh day.
- if your menstrual cycle is for 35 days, you would ovulate on the 21st day of your cycle.
If your menstrual cycle varies from month to month, the fertile window will also vary.
Therefore, it is advisable to have sexual intercourse every two to three days throughout the cycle. It will be more effective than waiting for the days of ovulation. Moreover, having intercourse regularly will improve the quality of the sperm.
How Do You Know If You Are Ovulating?
Sometimes you WILL know when you are ovulating, but at the other times ovulation might go unnoticed. Understand your body and track your menstrual cycle for a couple of months. The best time of the month to conceive would be when you look for signs such as:
- Vaginal mucus becoming thin, stretchy, clear and slippery.
- Mild discomfort at one side of the tummy, also known as mittelschmerz.
- Increase in basal body temperature (BBT), which you can determine by noting down the temperature every morning after you wake up, once your period ends. The BBT increases a day after ovulation. Keeping track of BBT over a few cycles will help you understand the pattern.
- The cervix turns softer and opens slightly during the fertile period.
Do Irregular Periods Affect Your Conception?
Normally women have 12 periods in a year. However, some may have fewer or skipped months. Abrupt weight gain or loss, stress, exercises, thyroid disorder, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), and ovarian dysfunction, can all interrupt your periods.
The more irregular your periods are, the tougher it will be to estimate ovulation. However, you may try to predict to know the best days, or even dates for conceiving:
- Look for the changes in the fertile mucus (vaginal discharge). Have sexual intercourse when you notice two or more days of slippery and stretchy mucus. Alternatively, have regular intercourse throughout your cycle
- Ovulation kits may help in detecting the ovulation period. The tests are positive when there is an LH surge (a sudden and brief rise in the luteinizing hormone), which is the catalyst for releasing the egg. LH surge happens 24-48 hours before ovulation. You will be most fertile over the next three days of LH surge. Therefore, you can have sex every day over the next three to four days
- Record your menstrual cycle for eight or more months. Take the shortest cycle, and subtract 18 from it (for instance 25-day cycle minus 18), and 11 from the longest cycle (35-day cycle minus 11). The resulting difference (day 7 to day 24) will be your most fertile days to get pregnant.
If your menstrual cycles are continuously irregular, you should see your healthcare provider without any delay.
What Factors Can Affect Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant?
In spite of your efforts, your pregnancy could be delayed due to certain factors:
1. The older you are, the fewer are the chances
A woman’s fertility starts decreasing from the early 30s. Although most women do not have much problem in conceiving in their 30s, fertility usually declines significantly after 35 years. The changes that occur in her ovaries and eggs make it difficult to get pregnant.
Likewise, a man’s fertility also decreases with age. As he ages, the sperm count comes down along with his sexual abilities. However, men can boost their libido by taking a special diet rich in zinc, selenium, vitamin E, maintaining proper weight and abstaining from tobacco and alcohol.
2. Lifestyle has an influence
Smoking, alcohol, unusual weight and stress can affect your fertility. Also, some medications and vaginal lubricants may impair your ability to conceive. Therefore, it is advisable to consult your doctor before you use any of them.
3. Have sex frequently
Persistence pays significantly. If you want to get pregnant, you need to indulge in frequent sex. Having sexual intercourse every two to three days would give a chance for the sperm to fertilize the egg. If ovulation is regular, conception becomes easier. The less frequent your lovemaking is, the lower are the chances to get pregnant.
4. Balanced mental health
Take pleasure in everything you do and remain confident. Overwork, stress, obesity and frustration can affect your chances of becoming pregnant.
So, is there a way to increases your chances of pregnancy?
Tips To Improve Fertility
Follow these tips:
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet with the nutrients necessary for improved fertility.
- Do not take tension as it can affect your body and mind.
- Have regular sex and enjoy sex. The fertile window calculations and checking the basal body temperature can just kill your romance. You would end up having sex not for pleasure but the baby.
- Make sure there is a high emotional bonding between you and your partner. The more it is, the higher are your chances.
- Exercise but let it be moderate. A healthy body produces the required hormones for improving fertility.
- Cut down obesity. It is not at all healthy and affects the fertility rate.
Do Sexual Positions Help You Get Pregnant?
Positions will not affect your chances of conception but having an orgasm would help. You might have heard that certain positions, such as missionary, help in conceiving. But, there is no evidence to support such claims.
A woman is most likely to get pregnant when she has intercourse regularly. Also, sex for pleasure and enjoy those moments. Do not make the process too mechanical. You and your partner need to relax and be stress-free.
We hope you will be successful in your pregnancy plan soon. If you have got any more questions, feel free to write to us.